The Thelon Wildlife Sanctuary includes an expanse of 52,000 square kilometers, straddling the border of Nunavut and the Northwest Territories. Located approximately halfway between Baker Lake and Yellowknife, the sanctuary was established in 1927 to conserve muskox populations.
In the past, the sanctuary drew Inuit inland from such distant areas as Bathurst Inlet, the Back River/Chantrey Inlet, and the Kazan River. All sought the valuable driftwood brought to the shores of Beverly Lake by the Thelon and Dubawnt Rivers. Travelling by dog team during the winter, these trips likely involved many chance meetings of Inuit from distant and diverse areas of Nunavut in Akiliniq, a trade centre for the central Arctic and provided opportunities to exchange material goods and information.